Monday, October 20, 2014

Hashbrown Quiche




Pepperjack cheese quiche with hash-brown crust


Weekend brunch item to knock your socks off!  Pepperjack cheese is one of my favorites.  Actually I think all cheeses are my favorite.  

I've been wanting to make this dish for a long time and the hash-browns were just waiting to be opened.  When I decided to make it this morning I realized I didn't have enough sour cream so I used some cream cheese instead.  I only had extra large eggs so I reduced it to be roughly the same amount as a large egg.  I didn't have scallions so I opened up one of my salad packs and sprinkled on some chopped spinach.  

Changing a recipe to what you have on hand is really easy.  Trust yourself that it will still taste good and making mistakes is the only way we can understand how ingredients work in a recipe.




Pepperjack cheese quiche with hash-brown crust recipe
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus more for pan
1 package (1 pound) frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
8 extra large eggs
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup cream cheese
4 to 5 ounces shredded pepperjack cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped








Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a 9-by-2 1/2-inch springform pan with butter. Line the sides of the pan with strips of waxed paper (the same height as pan); brush paper with butter.



Squeeze excess moisture from hash browns. Mix in a bowl with butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.   
Tip: beat egg separately then add to the hash-brown mixture to make sure the egg mixes properly.











Pat into bottom and up sides of prepared pan, using a moistened dry measuring cup. 










Place on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes.









In a large bowl, whisk sour cream, cream cheese,  pepperjack cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well combined; whisk in 7 remaining eggs.   
Tip: beating the eggs in a separate container and then adding them to your mixture ensures the whites and yolks will be distributed evenly.







Pour into crust, and sprinkle with spinach. Bake until set, 45 to 50 minutes. 







Unmold quiche, and peel off waxed paper before serving.  







Voila!  Perfect quiche!  So yummy!




1 comment :

  1. This quiche recipe looks easy and sounds delicious. I'll give this a try and give my opinion then !

    ReplyDelete

picasa thingy