Sunday, March 8, 2015

baked french toast


This is one of those prepared recipes I had in the freezer.  Pull it out on your lazy Sunday and voila!  My daughter literally could not keep her hands off of it.  If this toast is French, then I want dual citizenship.  Recipe below after the therapeutic topic of the week.

Theraputic topic for the week:  daily affirmations
Many times we find people putting themselves down.  It is almost as if they are convincing themselves of things that aren't true.  This could be for a number of different reasons.  Certain life experiences can decrease self esteem or maybe we were never encouraged to believe that we could achieve what we wanted.  Increasing your confidence takes time and you can start by using daily affirmations.  You can read the list I have below every morning when you wake up.  Sometimes I suggest that people create their own if these ones don't speak to them.  Personal affirmations are the best way to increase self esteem and remind yourself that you are worthy of the same things that others are.  So here is the list.  Please share with others if you find it helpful.

Daily Affirmations

In this space, and in this time, I am an essential person to the world.

My journey in life is unique - it is MY journey.

I deserve to be loved by myself and by others.

I have ample leisure time without feeling guilty.

As a citizen of the world, I deserve love, peace, prosperity and serenity.

I am not alone. There are people who understand me.

I love myself unconditionally.

I can respect my rights and the rights of others.

It’s okay to ask for help today.

Just for today, I will be glad to have feelings - happy, sad, depressed… whatever - because I’m human.

Just for today, I will respect my own and other’s boundaries.

Just for today, I will take one compliment and hold it in my heart for more than just a fleeting moment. I will let it nurture me.

Just for today, I will act in a way that I would admire in someone else.

Just for today, I will make decisions that will feel good tomorrow.




Baked French Toast Recipe

Ingredients

For the french toast:
Butter, For Greasing
1 loaf Crusty Sourdough Or French Bread
8 whole Eggs
2 cups Whole Milk
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract

For the topping
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Salt
Freshly Grated Nutmeg (optional)
1 stick Cold Butter, Cut Into Pieces
Warm Syrup, For Serving
Butter, For Serving



Directions
For the French toast: Grease the baking pan with butter. Tear the bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly distribute in the pan. Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed (overnight preferably). Or you can make it and bake it right away---delicious no matter what!



For the topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and some nutmeg in a separate bowl. Stir together using a fork. Add the butter and with a pastry cutter, and mix it all together until the mixture resembles fine pebbles.





Store in a plastic bag in the fridge.  (This is the point I would store it in the freezer until a lazy Sunday!)





When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the casserole from the fridge and sprinkle the topping over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture or for 1 hour-plus or more for a firmer, crisper texture.

Scoop out individual portions. Top with butter and drizzle with warm pancake syrup and powdered sugar (as if there isn't enough!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

picasa thingy